Search for events by industry:
- This event has passed.
Learning to lead: the essentials
February 19, 2020 @ 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
We will explore what leadership is, what successful leaders in a work environment actually do that makes them successful, and the positive difference effective leadership makes to people, operations and, the organization.
We will address and understand the transition and challenges involved in going from being a member of a team to leading one. We will also learn the essential skills and behaviours required to transition successfully into a leadership role and reach the point where you earn willing followers.
A combination of skill training, sharing of best practices, experiential learning, and practical exercises will be used to deliver the learning. There is a strong bias towards practical approaches over theoretical ones, and lots of real-life stories to illustrate that effective leadership is really about what you chose to do.
- Diagnose the most effective leadership style for individual’s in your team.
- Adjust your leadership style to the needs of an employee, task or situation.
- Reach agreement with team members on how much direction and support they need to become self-reliant, peak performers.
- Provide constructive feedback when someone’s work performance is off-track.
- Give appropriate recognition when someone’s work performance exceeds expectations.
- Coach employees that have performance issues.
- Leverage the most powerful leadership behaviour there is – leading by example.
- Use a simple communication technique to quickly build support for needed change.
PRESIDENT, DIGITAL EVOLUTION CANADA (DEC)
Rob Gilfoyle has over 20 years experience of providing leadership training—including performing under pressure, change leadership, and how to lead effectively in a matrixed organization—and consulting services to public and private sector organizations, including Fortune 500 companies and professional services firms in North America, Asia, Europe, and Africa.
He has been involved with many large and complex organizational change initiatives and has learned much about the challenges inherent in making change happen in real-world situations; he has developed particular expertise in helping organizations to make the changes necessary to leverage the value available from digital technology, (i.e., so-called, Digital Transformation).
Rob is an Achieve Global and Performance Connections International accredited trainer, holds a British Psychological Society Certificate of Competence in Psychometric Assessment, and is a qualified Birkman Consultant. Rob leads a training and consulting group, O.T.I. Performance Inc. in Vancouver, BC, and is President of Digital Evolution Canada. Also, he is a faculty member of the Directors College, based at McMaster University.