Receive our monthly newsletter with local events and lighting news:
Search for events by industry:
- This event has passed.
VDC Annual Designer CEU Workshop Night
November 5, 2019 @ 3:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Join us for an evening of 3 exciting CEU courses along with industry networking and delicious food and drinks.
About this Event
Registration: 3:00-3:15pm:PLATINUM SPONSOR:
- The workshop will be held in the Ballroom of the Sandman Hotel located on the 2nd floor in the back of the Moxie’s Restaurant. Parking is available below the hotel and across the street in the large parking lot.
- Science of Colour & Light – IDCEC 0.1 HSW / AIA 1.0 LU
- Investigate the interplay of colour and light: this course explores the design impact of lighting, colour temperature, colour rending index and light reflectance value (LRV). We will examine of the characteristics of different light sources and the impact on colour.
- Designing Rooms for Acoustics – IDCEC 0.1 HSW / AIA 1.0 LU
- Acoustic environments affect how we work, play, heal, and learn. Zackery Belanger, an independent acoustics consultant to LightArt, will present on the importance of acoustic design, review the history of room acoustics, introduce basic acoustic concepts and surfaces; and talk about the future of acoustic design with the purpose of creating favorable experiences for occupants that can be conducive to learning, improve productivity and foster a sense of well-being.
- Global Forestry 101 – IDCEC 0.1 HSW / AIA 1.0 LU
- Every year the world loses an England-size chunk of forest, and to halt this damage new laws worldwide are cracking down on the trade in endangered and threatened trees and illegally sourced wood. One result of these measures is to place the deforestation tragedy right on your professional doorstep: no longer can you select woods based solely on your project needs. You must know all the new legal ins and outs, and if you don’t you will put both your practice and your clients at risk.
- This lecture will guide you through this legal maze. You will learn which trees are highly endangered (black ebony and zebrawood are two), which nations conduct the most illegal logging (Russia and Indonesia are high on the list), and how to identify a tree’s species and origin (the Wood Database is a major tool for this). We will also study the red flags of illegally obtained wood (cash-only terms, underpricing) and, most important, we will evaluate alternatives to traditional timber products that can both satisfy your client needs and keep you on the right side of both the law and the environment.
- These forestry laws mean business. Lumber Liquidators was fined $13 million last year for running afoul of them; Gibson Guitar was penalized a few years before that. Yes, these statutes do burden and complicate your fields, but the basic principles are simple. With just a little knowledge, you should be able to master them, apply them, and integrate them seamlessly into your practice. And help the earth!