Receive our monthly newsletter with local events and lighting news:
Search for events by industry:
- This event has passed.
Center for Health & Wellbeing – The Right Environment for Active Aging
September 23 @ 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Join us for Walkability and Beyond: The Right Environment for Active Aging (Webinar) on Thursday, September 23 at 7 PM.
About this event
Your environment affects your behavior, but did you know that certain factors in your environment can affect your ability to live a long, active, and healthy life? Maintaining your overall health and wellbeing requires an environment that enables you to make positive lifestyle decisions, access health care, engage with your Physical, Social and, Intellectual Wellbeing and other personally meaningful activities while feeling secure in doing so. Join Dr. Christy Phillips, a research assistant professor in the Clemson University Department of Psychology and Institute for Engaged Aging, to learn more about micro- and macro- level features of a “Built Environment” that influences healthy aging. Dr. Phillips will discuss housing, pedestrian environments, transportation, and land-use planning that can also influence our health behaviors, our ability to remain engaged and connect with others, and the ease with which we adapt to age-related changes, including the latest research, successful community initiatives and challenges in need of solutions. By participating in this program, you can expect to:
- understand the relationship between a Built Environment and healthy aging within a socio-ecological framework.
- differentiate macro- and micro- level influences of the Built Environment.
- name at least three modifiable Built Environment features that can promote or impede opportunities to optimize health, participation and security.
- One email from Eventbrite: you can either disregard this email or save it for your records. No action needed with this message.
- One email from the Center for Health & Wellbeing: this email will contain your link to join the Zoom meeting. Simply select the link and the Zoom Meeting will launch. Please allow yourself five – 10 minutes before program start to launch Zoom and confirm your technology is properly working.